dR Daily 8/29-Labor Day: Your Weekend Top 10, Dorian Edition
What’s ahead for the Labor Day/Hurricane Dorian weekend is anybody’s guess. Chances are some of the following events will be cancelled, although predictions currently say the Tampa Bay region won’t be impacted by the storm until Monday. So call ahead and, no matter what, #1 is the most important must-do on the list:
- Prepare! If you haven’t already bought your emergency supplies — and especially if you haven’t battled your way through supermarket crowds for your pallet of bottled water — do it TODAY. And based on the recommendation of one of the saner voices on Facebook (talkin’ about you, @thematthewmcgee), avoid network weather panic and keep an eye on Mike’s Weather Page and his site, spaghettimodels.com, for local updates.
- Mrs. Bliss’s Titanic Adventure. What better way to confront impending disaster than to laugh about it? And what better way to spend a Thursday night than with the blissfully witty actor/playwright Bridget Bean in her original one-woman show? It’s about a struggling actor playing a cabin steward in a Titanic exhibition who is transported back to the actual Titanic. Can Mrs. Bliss avert disaster? Thurs. 8/29, 7 p.m., The Studio@620, 620 1st Ave. S., St. Petersburg.
- Daniela Soledade with the Nate Najar Trio Album Release Concert. “When she sings certain types of things, Daniela has the ability to make time stop,” guitarist extraordinaire Nate Najar told Paul Wilborn in an interview last spring, and anyone who has heard her sing Bossa Nova classics knows whereof he speaks. Friday night’s your chance to celebrate the release of her new album with Nate’s trio and swoon to some of the sexiest, most transporting music ever written. Fri. 8/30, 7:30 p.m., The Studio@620, 620 1st Ave. S., St. Petersburg.
- George Clinton and Parliament-Funkadelic. Speaking of being transported, George Clinton and his outlandish, out-of-this-world funksters beam down tonight at the Mahaffey from whatever celestial sphere they’re currently occupying. Thurs. 8/29, 7:30 p.m., The Mahaffey Theater, St. Petersburg, themahaffey.com.
- 6th Annual Tampa Bay Theatre Festival at the Straz. Thanks to the bountiful charisma of fest founder Rory Lawrence , this valuable festival keeps getting bigger and stronger, this year with eight new full-length plays plus workshops on acting, directing, improv and playwriting. Fri. 8/30-Sun. 9/1, Straz Center, Tampa, tampabaytheatrefestival.com.
- GeckoFest 2019. The inimitable end-of-summer testament to why Gulfport will always stay joyously, determinedly weird is themed “Geckos of the Roundtable” this year, so be prepared to meet a Sir Galahad or two, or perhaps one of the knights who say “Ni!” during the day-long round of parades, music, magic and more. Sat. 8/31, 10 a.m.-10 p.m., 3101 Beach Blvd. S., Gulfport, geckofest.com.
The Smiths, Talking Heads, and Elvis Costello: The WMNF Tribute. WMNF’s tribute shows at Skipper’s Smokehouse are legendary in their own right, and this weekend’s tribute gives us three, three, three tributes in one! Three beloved bands, their tunes performed by musicians from Miami and Tampa Bay, on a night that should prove to be epic (and, um, legendary). Sat. 8/31, 7-11:55 p.m., Skipper’s Smokehouse, 910 Skipper Rd., Tampa.
- Vegan Food Truck Rally at Dunedin House of Beer. I’m no vegan, but I’ve discovered I like vegan food, especially now that all these meat substitutes are starting to taste like, well, meat. Add craft beer and food trucks and a dog- and kid-friendly vibe, and you’ve got the makings of a very pleasant afternoon. Sat. 8/31, 12 Noon-5 p.m., Dunedin House of Beer/HOB Brewing Co., 931 Huntley Ave., Dunedin.
- EPCOT Food & Wine Festival and…
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. Yes, they both open today. In Orlando. At Walt Disney World. You probably already know this. And if you think it’s a good idea to go to Orlando in the face of a) marauding Star Wars hordes and b) an approaching hurricane (which will probably be easier to navigate than the Star Wars hordes), then more power to you. waltdisneyworld.com.